Pilates was designed by Joseph Pilates, a physical-culturist born in Germany in 1883. He developed a system of exercises during the first half of the 20th century which were intended to strengthen the human mind and body. Joseph Pilates believed that mental and physical health are inter-related.
The principals of Pilates are what bring about the amazing physical and mental benefits associated with practicing Pilates. The Pilates principals include the conditioning the entire body (all of the muscle groups), proper alignment of the spine through regular exercising and proper movement, centering and concentration, ability to control your movements, precision, correctly breathing deeply, and the fluidity and flow of movement.
Benefits of Pilates:
• Increases strength, flexibility and balance
• Improves posture
• Develops coordination and endurance
• Excellent for rehabilitation
• Shortens recovery time from injury
• Improves joint alignment and increases range of motion
• Improves bone density
• Reduces stress
• Increases Body/Mind awareness